Blog Post #10 (FC) The Kindness of Strangers

I used the a prompt from a blog that provides daily prompts for bloggers. Here is the prompt that I chose to write about:

When was the last time a stranger did something particularly kind, generous, or selfless for you? Tell us what happened!

Although it is certainly cliché, I believe that a simple act of kindness can go a very long way. Imagine one of those days that the universe just seems to be against you,  and nothing seems to be going your way. Now think about what would happen if a stranger held the door for you, payed you a compliment, or even payed for your drink at a coffee shop on one of those days. Recently, I experienced a particularly hectic day in which I forgot to set my alarm and had to rush to get ready for school, and was subsequently bombarded by a series of tests. With a particularly poor start to the day, it was difficult to keep a positive mindset. However, I experienced a real kindness from a total stranger who had picked up my phone which I had left on my desk. They easily could have taken it, but instead they returned it to me and I was really grateful for that. That event got me thinking about the ways that I could try to brighten other people’s days. To me, one of the best qualities a person can possess is selflessness, and yet another cliché that comes to mind is to treat others the way that you would want to be treated. One of my goals for this year is to be a kinder person in general, and I think that keeping in mind how I would want to be treated is a great way to initiate random acts of kindness.

It is important to remember that you don’t really know what a person is going through just by looking at them on the outside. Maybe they are having a particularly bad day, and I want to be the kind of person that makes there day just a bit better.

3 Comments on Blog Post #10 (FC) The Kindness of Strangers

1. nadaf214
    May 26, 2014 at 11:03 pm (10 years ago)

You’re right! It’s crazy how one small act of kindness on a bad day can positively affect your mood. It is so easy to do that I believe that everyone should strive to brighten at least one person’s day each day.

Reply
  2. emmal314
    May 27, 2014 at 1:27 pm (10 years ago)

You never know what kind of person you could be talking to. Just a simple hello or holding the door open for someone can make someones day. For me when someone tells me i make there day it makes me feel incredibly special and making someone elses day, makes mine!

Reply
  3. paulv214
    May 28, 2014 at 11:01 pm (10 years ago)

I agree with you. I like this positive blog that you put out by the way and it reminds me a parable that I learned when I was young. It is called the Samaritan. Even though this Samaritan was thought of as the low level of society, he was the only one that helped a poor beat up stranger almost about to die on the ground. A priest, and 2 other officials also came by on the road but ignored the hurt man. it is always good to help others, and be kind to them. If someone is going through a bad day, a compliment could raise all sadness from their hearts.

Reply